One of the most convenient ways to add nutrients into your diet is through whole-food smoothies. They are delicious, easy to make and you can take them on the go with you.
I always recommend a whole-food smoothie over juices or other extracts. With a whole-food smoothies you aren't separating out any nutrients. Good health comes from the combination and variety of many nutrients not any singular "super" nutrients. For example, when you juice an orange you separate out the fiber from the vitamin C and other nutrients. Nutrients don't not have the same effect and impact on our bodies when they are isolated.
Why Cacao Powder?
Cacao powder is a raw, whole-food powder that has a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fibers and many more. It has that great chocolatey taste without anything artificial, added sugars or any of the guilt!
Here are the 6 Best Health Benefits of Cacao:
- Loaded with Antioxidants - Our bodies fill up with free radicals and oxidative stress. These free radicals can cause diseases such as Cancer, Cardiovascular Disease and inflammation. It is important to eat foods rich in antioxidants to combat those free radicals and oxidative stress.
- Reduces Risk of Heart Disease - Studies have shown that consuming cacao can reduce the risk of heart disease in males. Consuming cacao helps reduce blood pressure and improve problems with insulin resistance.
- Reduces LDL Cholesterol - LDL (low-density lipoprotein cholesterol) is famously know as the "bad" cholesterol in our bodies. Studies have shown that the consuming cacao can help reduce the levels of LDL cholesterol in our bodies.
- Improve your Mood - Cacao contains naturally occurring polyphenols which have been shown to have a positive effect on our moods without effecting our cognitive function or raise blood pressure.
- Reduce Stress - Some studies have shown that consuming dark chocolate can reduce our percieved stress levels.
- Improve Brain Function - Cacao beans contain naturally occurring caffeine and theobromine. These combine and work together to help improve alertness, focus and cognition.
Here's a delicious and easy recipe that will add some Cacao Powder into your diet. You'll receive all the benefits from the raw cacao without any of the guilt.
- 1 cup purified water.
- 1 small frozen banana (2 small frozen halves)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao (raw cocoa powder)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter.
- A dash of cinnamon.
- A handful of ice.
Place all contents into a blended and mix until smooth and silky. Serve and enjoy!